Puli “Preston” Wins Best in Show at Largest Ever AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin
Orlando, FL (Dec. 18, 2016) – GCHB CH Cordmaker Mister Blue Sky, a Puli known as “Preston” triumphed over nearly 5,000 dogs to earn a $50,000 cash prize and the title of Best in Show at the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin, held this weekend in Orlando, Fla. “Prestion,” owned by E. Charles & J. Beaudoin & L. Pitts & P. Kelly & S. Huebner of Raleigh, NC, was crowned “National Champion” by Best in Show judge Dr. Anthony DiNardo after a weekend of intense canine competition.
Combined with other weekend events including the AKC Agility Invitational, the AKC Obedience Classic, and the Junior events, the overall show totals topped 7,000 entries, making this the largest dog event held in the United States since the AKC 1984 Centennial event and the largest dog show North America.
The AKC National Championship evening live stream is available for replay at www.akc.org, alongside on-demand coverage of the Bred-By Exhibitor groups, Junior Showmanship Finals, Best Miscellaneous, Agility and Obedience competitions. The show will be televised on the Hallmark Channel on January 23, 2017 6-9 PM ET/PT.
Reserve Best in Show and Group Winners
Reserve Best in Show: GCHP CH Belle Creek’s All I Care About Is Love, a Bichon Frise known as “Flynn,” owned by Patrina Odette & L. VanKeur & L. Carlton & L. Letsche of Plymouth, MI.
After winning Best of Breed competitions the following top dogs went on to win in their respective groups and compete for Best in Show:
Sporting: GCHS CH Clussexx Man Of Steel, a Clumber Spaniel known as “Angus,” owned by Clussexx Reg J Hubbard W & K Holbrook B Dowd of Bloomington, IN.
Hound: GCHP CH Sporting Fields Shameless, a Whippet known as “Brazen,” owned by Barbara Call, J. Cooney-Waterhouse, D. Butt and A. Giles of Wilmot, MN.
Working: GCHP CH Mephisto’s Speak Of The Devil, a Boxer known as “Devlin,” owned by Mrs. Jack Billhardt & Sergio Tenenbaum of Canaan, CT.
Terrier: GCHS CH Taliesin Twice As Nice, a Norwich Terrier known as “Tanner,” owned by Lisa Sons & Jeff and Kim Sime of Homer Glen, IL.
Toy: GCHS CH Somerset Wynzall Hashtag, a Brussels Griffon known as “Newton,” owned by Keith Jacobson and Jo Ann Noffsinger of Seattle, WA.
Non-Sporting: GCHP CH Belle Creek’s All I Care About Is Love, a Bichon Frise known as “Flynn,” owned by Patrina Odette & L. VanKeur & L. Carlton & L. Letsche of Plymouth, MI.
Herding: GCHB CH Cordmaker Mister Blue Sky, a Puli known as “Preston,” owned by E. Charles & J. Beaudoin & L. Pitts & P. Kelly & S. Huebner of Raleigh, NC.
Other top dogs awarded during the two-day event included the following:
GCHG CH Hillwood Dassin Ouspenskaya, a Poodle known as “Maria,” owned by Ellen M. Charles & Joseph Vergnetti of Washington D.C. was awarded Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show.
AKC National Owner-Handled Series Finals Best in Show
GCH CH Love That Jimmy Fallon CM, a Miniature American Shepherd known as “Jimmy,” owned by Jeanie Troyan McAdams & Dr. Douglas McAdams won the AKC National Owner-Handled Series (NOHS) Finals Best in Show, prevailing over an invitation-only entry of 711 dogs.
Sidekick’s Amour De Bonami CM4, a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen known as “Ace,” owned by Brent Humphrey & Corey Benedict of Howey-in-the-Hills, FL, won the Miscellaneous Breeds competition.
In the Junior Showmanship competition, for handlers from between 9 to 18 years of age, Lauren Marie Hull with her Great Pyrenees CH Patorama’s Lay Down The Boogie was awarded the coveted title of Best Junior Handler, along with a $2,000 scholarship.
Agility and Obedience Competitions
The 2016 AKC Obedience Classic and the AKC Agility Invitational were held in conjunction with the AKC National Championship. The two events demonstrate the highest level of training and teamwork between dog and handler. Obedience and agility competitions for junior handlers were held for the sixth year, and an AKC Rally® Junior competition was held for the third year.
AKC Obedience Classic
Four obedience dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the four classes – were crowned at the AKC Obedience Classic, which brought together 248 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their class (Novice, Open, Utility and Masters respectively) were:
- Novice: Powderhorn Brodie & Stand Back CD PCD BN JH, a Golden Retriever known as “Brodie,” owned by Barb and Bob Mina of Campobello, SC.
- Open: Augustus Treasured Serenity CDX BN RA NA, a Labrador Retriever known as “Grant,” owned by Mary Ann Flanagan of Glen Gardner, NJ.
- Utility: Henry Head Over Heels UD PCDX BN GN RE THDA CGC, an All American Dog known as “Henry,” owned by Kathryn Harvey of Apple Valley, MN.
- Masters: OTCH Rhumbline’s Once In A Blue Moon UDX2 OM3 BN GN RE, a Labrador Retriever known as “Heart,” owned by Linda Brennan of Columbia, NJ.
AKC Juniors Obedience/Rally Classic
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Classic competed in Obedience and/or AKC Rally®.
In Obedience, Juniors competed in the Beginner Novice, Preferred Novice and Preferred Open classes twice, based on their AKC obedience accomplishments.
Placing first in their class were:
· Beginner Novice: Emily Wagoner, Maximum Force, All American Dog
· Preferred Novice: Brittaney Allen, Allen’s Ollie CD BN RN CGC, All American Dog
· Preferred Open: Emily Wagoner, Clarimond’s Because I’M the Boss CDX BN RE CGCA, Belgian Tervuren
In AKC Rally®, Juniors competed in Rally Novice, Rally Advanced or Rally Excellent, based on the dog’s class eligibility (qualifying scores and/or titles earned).
Placing first in their class were:
- Rally Novice: Breanna Durham, Nike D The Perfect Fit For Me CDX PCD GN RN, Australian Shepherd
- Rally Advanced: Avery Adams, Wyndspell Fireworks CD AX AXJ, Border Collie
- Rally Excellent: Kaitlyn Scripko, Hidden Valley Black Ty Affair UDX OM2 RE HT MX MXB MXJ MJB MXF T2B, Border Collie
AKC Agility Invitational
Five agility dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the five height categories – were crowned as the 2016 winners of the AKC Agility Invitational, which brought together 700 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their height division (8″, 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) were:
- 8” – MACH5 Brokenroad Code Name Tank MXB2 MJB2 MXF MFB TQX T2B RN (Tank), a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno owned and handled by Charlene Wiglesworth of Kalamazoo, MI.
- 12” – MACH12 Keebler’s Elfin’ Magic MXS4 MJS4 (Keebler), a Pembroke Welsh Corgi owned and handled by Roger O’Sullivan of Gahana, OH.
- 16” – Dora Doo Winslow AX AXJ OF (Dora), a Shetland Sheepdog owned and handled by Patricia Toro Sarraga of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 20” – MACH5 Marjo’s Demon In The Ruff MXS2 MJG2 MXP2 MJP3 MJPB MXF MFS TQX T2B2 (Simi), a Brittany owned and handled by Janice Brunner of Wellsville, PA.
- 24” – MACH7 Gliding High Du Volant MXC2 MJC2 MXF MFB TQX T2B (Glider), a Belgian Sheepdog owned and handled by Nici Parker of Santa Rosa Valley, CA.
AKC Juniors Agility Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Agility Competition competed in either the Junior Excellent or Superior Classes, depending on whether they had achieved an agility title.
Placing first in their height division (8″, 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) in the Junior Excellent class were:
- 8”- Kayangee Dorothy Parker MX MXJ (Dot), a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel handled by Anthony Rotelle
- 12”- Karmayne Playin With Matches MX MXJ (Fire), a Shetland Sheepdog handled by Natalie Spinsby
- 16”- Julian’s Razor Lazzer MX MXB MXJ OF (Lazer), a Border Collie handled by Destiny Julian
- 20”- MACH Rival’s Stitch In Time HIBS, HIAS, CD (Stitch), a Border Collie handled by Kai Macauley
- 24”- MACH Smokingold Vibrant Spark MX MXJ UD RE (Vibrant), a Golden Retriever handled by Avery Adams
Placing first in their height division (12”, 16″ and 24″ respectively) in the Junior Superior class were:
- 12”- Rhapsody Enchanting Dart To The Finish Line (Dart), a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel handled by Aaliyah Watkins
- 16”- Martin’s Lola II (Lola), an All American Dog handled by Tasha Martin
- 24”- Hunter Of The Meadow BN RN CGC (Hunter), a Labrador Retriever handled by Hayley Milliron
North America Diving Dogs/AKC National Championship.
A record entry of more than 700 dogs entered the NADD/AKC National Championship.
The Championship winners include:
- Open Class Elite Division: Prospect, a Mixed breed owned by Shannon Taaffe (Score: 28’9″)
- Open Class Master Division: Marsoc, a Belgian Malinois owned by Kathryn Schreiner (Score: 25’6″)
- Open Class Senior Division: Fix, a Australian Shepherd owned by Jen Bunker (Score: 23′)
- Open Class Junior Division: Olivia, an Old English Sheepdog owned by Stephanie Getter (Score: 17′ 0)
- Open Class Novice Division: Daisy, a Golden Retriever owned by Sheila Cook (Score: 15′ 2)
- Veteran Class Elite Division: Vhoebe, a Belgian Malinois owned by Lise Ann Strum (Score: 23’6″)
- Veteran Class Master Division: Cody, a Mixed breed owned by Mindy Len(Score: 21′)
- Veteran Class Senior Division: Wilson, a Labrador Retriever owned by Martha Veatch (Score: 20’9″)
- Veteran Class Junior Division: Jake, a Belgian Malinois owned by Doran Lawrence (Score: 15’9″)
- Veteran Class Novice Division: Sophia, a Boxer owned by Mindy Len (Score: 12′)
- Lap Class Elite Division: Gerry, a Jagdterrier owned by Christopher Skinner-Bland (Score: 22’5″)
- Lap Class Master Division: Keira, a English Cocker Spaniel owned by Shana Porter (Score: 17’6″)
- Lap Class Senior Division: Kali, a Jagdterrier owned by William Burns (Score: 12’9″)
- Lap Class Junior Division: Beatrice, a Border Terrier owned by Jessica Reddmann (Score: 10’7)
- Lap Class Novice Division: Raz, a Pomeranian owned by Katy Chadwick (Score: 5’2″)
- Air Retrieve Open Class Elite Division: Reese, a German Shorthaired Pointer owned by Tammy Strassenberg (Score: 22′)
- Air Retrieve Open Class Master Division: Storie, a Labrador Retriever owned by Ronalee McKnight (Score: 21′)
- Air Retrieve Open Class Senior Division: Sora, a Dutch Shepherd owned by Chad Taylor (Score: 19′)
- Air Retrieve Lap Class: Gerry, a Jagdterrier owned by Christopher Skinner-Bland (Score: 15′)
- Junior (under 17 yrs old) Handler: Duke, a Belgian Malinois owned by Zak Filler (Score: 25′)
AKC Breeder of the Year
Alan Kalter and Dr. Chris Lezotte were presented with the 2016 AKC Breeder of the Year Award for their HappyLegs Bullmastiffs at the AKC National Championship on Saturday, December 17, 2016. The annual award honors breeders who have made an impact on their breed and dedicated their lives to improving the health, temperament and quality of purebred dogs.
AKC Meet the Breeds®
The Rhodesian Ridgeback booth won AKC Meet the Breeds® Best Booth in Show.
Short URL: http://caninechronicle.com/?p=117856
Comments are closed